Friday, January 27, 2012

Lemon Scones




So for years now, I have been collecting recipes, frequenting cooking blogs, and borrowing cook books from the library. As if I don't have enough already, I now have Pinterest and a 15 year old who quite often is finding me more recipes to add to my ever growing list and in fact these lemon scones came from her. Well, they came from one of her recipe sources and they are a winner. They are nice and lemony indeed. The glaze really brings out the lemon flavor not to mention the fact that I used Meyer Lemons.  I did make an additional white glaze on top of what the recipe called for also, just because they looked too plain for my liking. I don't think it changed the taste much so you decide for yourself if you want the extra glaze. They are just prettier with it.  I like pretty and I like lemon, so these really work well for me and if you like lemon and scones I bet they will work  for you too :).
Please note that scones really are best right out of the oven. If you don"t need eight scones you might freeze the dough and bake the extras when you do need them. Of course, you need to make your discs and cut them into wedges first and then freeze.  Have a friend over and make some kind of scone to go with your coffee or tea, it's simply irresistible :).


Lemon Scones
2 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. frozen butter, grated
1/2 c. lemon juice
2 t. lemon zest


Glaze 1: lemon juice (1 lemon) and powdered sugar mixed to make a glaze.


Glaze 2: 1-2T. cream, a little squeeze of lemon, and powdered sugar to make a white glaze.


Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.Grate the frozen butter on the holes of a large box grater.  (I like to use my food processor for this – fast and easy.) Toss the grated butter into the flour mixture.  Mix in juice and zest.   Form into 2 disks and cut each disk into 4 wedges, like a pie.  Transfer to a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.


Cool.  Mix the glazes and drizzle over scones.


Recipe adapted from: Alwayswithbutter.blogspot.com


Photographs by Cindi








No comments:

Post a Comment