Thursday, February 9, 2012

Blackberry Scones





   It has been such a beautiful winter.  Most days have been sunny and mild, really it doesn't feel like winter weather and that's okay with me.  I am a warm weather kind of gal.  This week though, it has felt chilly to me, which meant it was time to bake something warm and yummy for breakfast. If ever I ask my youngest daughter what should I bake for breakfast, she says, "Scones." So  scones it was.  Now, which kind of scone? So many to choose from. Then I remembered I had just bought blackberries.  It was a no-brainer from there. Phew! that's good because sometimes I  just hate decisions like that.

  The grocery store just had big beautiful blackberries on sale so I bought some for eating and baking. So count yourself informed that there shall be some delicious blackberry recipes coming soon, well more delicious blackberry recipes because these definitely are blackberry and delicious.




Blackberry Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup butter, chilled
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup blackberries, fresh or frozen
1 tbsp coarse sugar, for topping
Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. Cut butter into 6-8 chunks and add to flour mixture, tossing to coat. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until mixture is sandy and butter is well distributed, with no pieces larger than a big pea.
Combine milk and vanilla extract and pout into flour mixture. Stir until dough comes together.Add blackberries and gently knead into the dough. It is ok if some berries get slightly squished.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and flatten dough into a disc about 3/4-inch thick. Use a knife to divide disc into six triangles. Place scones on prepared baking sheet.
Sprinkle generously with coarse sugar.
Bake for 20 minutes, until scones are golden brown.




These were beautiful and delicious!

Adapted from Baking Bites.com

3 comments:

  1. These scones look amazing! I love the photos - just beautiful! Next time you are baking scones I'll be happy to head south & be your taste tester :) Keep up the great work. This is such a fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. The berries look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks absolutely delicious :) I want some now! :O I will have to go and make some now :)

    In Christ,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete