Thursday, February 2, 2012

You Have To Try This Sweet Balsamic Dressing ( Salad with Avocado, Almonds, and Cranberries)

                                            This dressing is ridiculously good.  It makes me want to eat a salad every day. 

 After  posting so many sweets last week I thought maybe I should let you guys know that I do eat real food .  Although I like to eat healthy, I am all for my sugar too.  I love to have a dessert  a day. I'm not sure what I like more, the eating or the making of the sweet sugary foods.  Actually, I think I like to make it more.  Crazy huh?  And trust me I like to eat it...but there is something about the art of cooking that is so relaxing to me. Even though this isn't sugary, I really do love it.  I think I like wholesome food just as much as sugary foods. This is a great salad and come to think of it, it is a little sweet because the dressing has a little sugar in it but also because of the cranberries and the pears.  I hope you like it too.  Do you think cooking is relaxing, creative and fun?


Ingredients for the dressing:
⅓ cup sugar
1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds
1 ½ tablespoons sesame seeds
½ teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried mustard
1 tablespoon minced sweet onion
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup white balsamic vinegar
⅓ cup vegetable oil
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil

Ingredients for the salad:
Romaine Lettuce ( enough for 8)
2 medium avocados, peeled and halved
¾ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup of  candied spiced almonds or just plain slivered almonds

Directions:
1. For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a pint sized glass jar and shake well to dissolve sugar.

2. For the salad, place greens  in a large bowl. Add avocado and dried cranberries and about 1/4 cup of the dressing and toss gently. Scatter candied almonds over salad and sprinkle lightly with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pass extra dressing at the table.

6 dinner size salads, 8 side salads

I also  like to add sliced  pears to this salad .

Source:  Adapted from an unknown  source

No comments:

Post a Comment