Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Meringue Candy

A couple of days ago I helped coordinate the wedding reception for my friend's daughter.  It was a special day, as most wedding days are and I was so glad to be such a big part of it.  I so wanted it to be all they had hoped for.  So much time and prayer went into the preparations and planning. So much thought was given to even the smallest of details. These meringues were one of the tiny contributions I provided for the dessert table.  I love to make these. They are so festive and pretty.
Speaking of festive and pretty, I  really  think the reception turned out great and I had so much fun pulling it off with my dear friend, Kelli. Kelli is one of the most talented women I know personally.  She can do almost anything and do it well.  Do you have someone in your life like that?  On top of all her talents she is also a very Godly person, a real joy to be around. And no she doesn't read my blog, so she will never know I told you about her, but it's okay. It's just a part of the story about the wedding and a highlight of  coordinating the reception. Even if you don't coordinate a reception, you really should make these for some special occasion just because they are so fun.
Meringue Candy Gems
Basic Recipe
3 egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup fine white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Flavorings - see below
Mocha Meringues
2 teaspoons instant coffee or espresso powder
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Vanilla
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cotton Candy Meringues 
(This is another variety to try.)

Approximately 36 cookies                                    

2 egg whites, at room temperature
Pinch of cream of tartar
1/2 cup finely ground cotton candy granules
*Note: Grind cotton candy granules in a food processor until slightly powdery.


 Heat oven to 170ºF. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft, bubbly peaks form. The peaks will still flop over; they're like bubble bath still. Turn the mixers to high and add the sugar a couple tablespoons at a time. As they get glossy, beat in the flavorings. The texture should be glossy and tacky, with peaks that stand straight up. Pipe onto parchment-covered sheets. The parchment is essential; these will stick like crazy. Bake for about one and a quarter hours then turn off the oven and let them cool, or leave in oven overnight. They should be completely dry with no chewiness inside.




Aren't they so pretty?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind words. I think YOU are one of the most amazing women I know. I had so much fun working with you on Saturday. Wish we could do it more often. So glad you are my friend!

    ReplyDelete