Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Before moving here, my husband and I had lived in Michigan most of our lives so cold weather was all too familiar.  The only way to remedy this problem in the slightest way was to make some warm comforting soup.  Although, I have not lived in Michigan for almost 20 years, I still love soup.  Broccoli cheddar soup is one of our family favorites.
I have fond thoughts about this soup because a dear friend brought me a close version of this recipe right after my first child was born.  I had never tried to make broccoli cheddar soup, so it was a real treat.  It was the kind of soup I would order whenever I ate out (which was on a rare occasion).  It wasn't long after trying Sherry's soup that I was making it myself and it has remained a favorite to this day.  Do you have a favorite soup or a memory tied to a soup?


Broccoli Cheddar Soup



Ingredients:
6 tbsp. butter, divided
¾ cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrot, chopped or shredded
4 cups small broccoli florets
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
½ tsp. onion salt
½ tsp. garlic powder
4 tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.  Add the onion to the pan and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes.  Add the carrots to the pan and cook a couple minutes more.  Stir in the broccoli, chicken broth, onion salt and garlic powder.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
In a medium saucepan, melt remaining butter.  Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown, whisking constantly.  Whisk in the milk and cook until the mixture thickens and bubbles, about 5 minutes.  Once the mixture has thickened, whisk in the cheese until completely melted.  Remove from the heat and add the cheese sauce to the soup pot.  Allow to simmer until warmed through and broccoli is tender.  Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.  If desired, puree the soup with an immersion blender for a smooth texture.
Source: Annie’s Eats original



1 comment:

  1. I love your post. I love Chili the best, but that soup sounds awesome. And "yes" a variety of foods, particularly soup, bring about some fond memories for us too. :)

    ReplyDelete